Carol Walnum MA, MBA, LPC, Diplomate Analytical Psychology
Certified Jungian Analyst for adults and young adults in Portland, Oregon.
The shorter and longer forms of therapy I offer help people with a variety of difficult life issues, repeating patterns, and challenging matters of the heart. I provide Jungian psychotherapy and analysis strengthened by my life experiences, and what I bring to individuals is profoundly informed by the multi-year, in-depth training undertaken at the C.G. Jung Institute, Zurich to become a Diplomate in Analytical Psychology. I have always worked well with a diversity of individuals.
I offer a classical Jungian approach, engaging individuals deeply within talk therapy as well as in classical dream analysis and active imagination, based on Jung’s theory and practice. Additional in-depth training includes art therapy, dream analysis, Self Psychology, trauma work, and humanistic theory.
As a seasoned therapist, I work to create a safe and trustworthy professional environment. Clients say I bring skill and experience in developing meaningful therapeutic relationships which meet them where they are and help them to work through what is troubling.
- Jungian Therapy — one regular session weekly
- Jungian Analysis — longer term, one or two sessions weekly
See Services for more information.
Education, Certification, and Licensure
- Diplomate, Analytical Psychology, C.G. Jung Institute, Zurich, Switzerland
- M.A., Counseling Psychology with Emphasis in Depth Psychology, Pacifica Graduate Institute, Santa Barbara, California
- M.B.A., J. L. Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois.
- Licensed Professional Counselor, State of Oregon
Clinical Activity and Training
- Jungian Analyst 2013 to present
- Private practice 2006 to present
- Therapist, Greater YWCA Department of Counseling. Community mental health counseling 2004-2009
- Ongoing training, supervision, and clinical consultation to meet the focus of my practice and State of Oregon Board standards
- Ongoing clinical consultation in Jungian topics and clinical issues with Pacific NW Society of Jungian Analysts at pnsja.org, the CG Jung Institute Kusnacht/Zurich, and worldwide peers.
Professional Societies and Associations
Jungian Analysis and Counseling
Carol Walnum offers professional counseling services to adults and young adults (starting at age 25) who wish to address inner and outer life issues, often causing people to suffer and to feel dispirited. Carol works with individuals coping with outer issues as well, such as loss or sudden changes in life. Her practice is diversity friendly.
Carol prefers to work with people longer-term in the following areas:
- Depression and anxiety
- Historic and current relationship problems in marriage, partnership, family, and work; enmeshment
- Trauma exploration and support
- Adult survivors of child abuse
- Loss and grief
- A broad range of mid- and later-life crises and issues, including depression, loss of purpose, career issues, and physical health issues
- Adult children of self-centered parents. Adults recovering from relationships of “intimate terrorism” of narcissism with such a parent or partner.
- Issues not fitting neatly into categories or labels; working to recognize what is trying to get your attention.
Carol participates in continuing clinical education and training, clinical supervision, and consultation as a part of her professional counseling services and her standard of care.
Having worked with individuals in the U.S. and in other countries, Carol bears witness to the fact that with help, people can enter more fully into life and better engage in life’s unique meaning for them and their communities. She works from the belief that a person should have the opportunity to best fulfill his, her, or their authentic and individual nature in life and in work. When movement toward those goals occurs, psychological struggles take on meaning and suffering can diminish. Strife and challenges are explored as a means for growth and transformation in her practice.